Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Part 2 ~ The Lighthouses of Gaspé



Welcome back.
to our Lighthouse Tour
around the Gaspé Peninsula.

If you missed Part 1, click here.








We continue our journey up the 
north shore of the Gaspé 
for 27km, to L'Anse à Valleau. 





We left Route 132 and took a descending
gravel road for 4 km in the woods,
to reach our next lighthouse.



~  Pointe-à-la Renommée Lighthouse ~


(translated in english..famous point)




Our first view of this beautiful lighthouse.


After parking in the parking lot,
We took the stairs down.


Lots of interesting history here.

The current lighthouse dates back
 to 1906 and was built adjacent
 to any existing earlier light date to 1880.


The light operated until 1975, 
when it was replaced by a solar powered 
steel tower erected in the nearby 
village of l"Anse à Valleau.



This lighthouse spent 20 years in Quebec City....


After years being closed and
 in state of decay, in 1977,
the lighthouse was dismantled
 and transported to the Old Port in Quebec City, 
where it was reassembled in 1981,
 and stayed as a kind of
 pier-side tourist attraction.

Some years later, a small fishing community near 
Pointe à la Renommée decided 
to launch a campaign to get their lighthouse back.
Led by three determined women, in 1997,
it was returned to its original location 
in L'Anse à Valleau and restored.







Stairway down to the lighthouse.


A contractor from France
 built the original lighthouse.



The first Marconi radio station in North America.
A Marconi Museum on site.





 We visited the Lighthouse.
A guide with a attitude, 
gave us a tour and a lot of information 
on the history of this site.


We climbed up to the tower.







The St. Lawrence at this point
 is about 50 miles across.
On a clear day,  
Anticosti Island is visible.
(Nice beach below)


Anticosti Island on the Map.














Back to the parking lot

on the road again...
..




 ~  Cap De La Madeleine Lighthouse ~


at L'Anse Pleureuse, Quebec.





Since 1907 ~ A reinforced concrete tower. 

.







Sabrina, Mathieu and Annie.

For a small fee, 
we climbed to the top of the lighthouse






Spectacular view!
A nice beach below.




A Museum 

The keepers house is a restaurant and gift shop


On to our next lighthouse.....


 ~ La Martre Lighthouse ~


The light dating back to 1906 
is active and maintained by the town of La Martre.



A 19 meter high red wooden tower.


The keepers house  ~ a museum and gift shop 


Cedar painted shingles cover this lighthouse.


Open to tourist visits.
The guide was not available when we were there.





On the road again....







Part 3,  click here to view.


Thanks for your visit xo.



8 comments:

  1. What a fun post, Thelma! The first one is quite unique. I love looking at lighthouses although I have never been inside one. We have one up west that has a museum and restaurant as well as an inn. It is our most unique lighthouse here on the Island. Thank you for the tour and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not believe I visited these Beautiful Lighthouses, I had no Idea there was so many of them.All of them were so interesting with so much history.Great job Thelma,You go into great detail about the history of these Beautiful Lighthouses, Wonderfully done.💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. O MY!! I love these picturesque Lighthouses!! And the grounds around them are so charming!! when we used to vacation at the Jersey shore we always went to the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse which is a Victorian cottage and lighthouse and has beautiful gardens around it, planted with gorgeous perennials. and we would also visit the Cape May lighthouse too!! Thanks for sharing !! And thanks so much for stopping by!! I wish your sister good luck with her hip surgery. Recovery for hips is a bit faster than for knees....
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- if I ever get to this part of Canada, I will definitely want to do this. Loved so many of your very artistic photos -- that red staircase looks tricky! You had great weather for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....beautiful pics. Being a photographer I have always wanted to visit lighthouses and snap a pic or two but here in TN we don't have those and traveling has not been something I have done much of. Great times, great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, I really do love your travels and all these lighthouses with the history, so interesting. And, the scenery is spectacular...gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, Thel! I am so glad you linked your lighthouse trek this week! I found it right off as I was looking at posts for Share Your Style. Lighthouses are fascinating, aren't they? I have only been to a few over the years along the California coastline and I remember visiting one in Hawaii as a kid with my family but don't remember where it was or I'd share it with you and your readers (so anyone could visit).

    Very cool travel post and I am featuring this post as my #1 feature for next week's SYS!! Hope you have a great weekend and I hope spring is beginning to pop up in your gardens and along your roadways.

    Hugs,
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb for featuring me. It was my year for visiting lighthouses last yr. I flew across Canada to visit my son and his family in Vancouver and we visited 2 lighthouses. I will blog them later. I love lighthouses. I think it's because I grew up with one shining it's light in our upstairs window.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love all your thoughts and comments.
Unfortunately, all my comments prior to February 2019, have been deleted by Google+ as Google + ceased to exist.