Saturday, November 5, 2022

Harvesting Sunflowers

  I planted a Sunflower Garden this year  
and was surprised how easy 
and beautiful it grew. 

I decided to harvest some seeds 
for bird food in the winter.



Sunflowers don't need rich 
soil and are low maintenance.🌻


A peek at the first flower appearing



Amazing evolvement


Fun to photograph.







Great Polinators 



Bees and other insect
enjoyed them.

8








When the heads start to droop,
it's time to harvest.








Brush of the top layer and 
the seeds are easy to take out.





Seeds.

Lots of seeds



I placed the seeds in pans 
and let them dry 
for about a week.


Close-up of some seeds


Sunflower seeds are edible and
 can be used in many food dishes.





So I have lot of seeds for the birds to enjoy!
A fun experience for the first time,
and maybe, I'll do it again next year.

Thanks for your visit. 
🌻🌻🌻

1 comment:

  1. I cannot tell you how much I love seeing this cycle of a sunflower's life. It's fascinating and your photos are fantastic! What a wonderful collection of seeds you have to offer sustenance to your bird friends this winter. This might be one of my favorite posts! (And thanks for stopping by the other day!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love all your thoughts and comments.
Unfortunately, all my comments prior to February 2019, have been deleted by Google+ as Google + ceased to exist.