Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Summer Savory

     I planted summer savory in my garden each year and harvested it this Sept.
This is an annual herb and one of the oldest known culinary herbs, 
Its flavor adds just the right touch to eggs, fish, green beans, poultry, and meats.
Like many herbs, summer savory makes itself at home  in any container or window box

A favorite herb of my Dear Mom. She did this year after year. 
Childhood memories of huge bunches hanging in the old back porch to dry....






     In the Spring, I plant my seeds directly in the garden.
  When plants have reached 1" to 2" tall, 
 they can be thinned  to about 6"-9" apart. 
The leaves are primarily harvested
 when flower buds begin to form




Drying Summer Savory.   (source: The Halifax Seed Co.)
Cut branches from the summer savory plant (before its buds open) on a dry day. 
Remove any dead, immature or damaged leaves from the branches then rinse in 
cold water and gently blot dry with a clean, lint-free towel until all moisture is absorbed.
Turn the branches upside down and tie the ends of up to six branches together with string. 
Loop a 12-inch length of string or dental floss through each of the tied ends of the savory bunches, and make a knot in each loop for hanging.

Hang the summer savory bunches separately in a warm, dry, well-ventilated room for at least 2 weeks until dry. Discard any savory that forms mold.

Remove the dried summer savory leaves from the branches, and dispose of the bare branches. 
Crush the leaves or leave them whole.
Place the dried summer savory in an air-tight container or resealable plastic bags.
Store the container or bags of summer savory away from hear or direct sunlight.


Savory hanging in bunches to dry. (A few weeks)
I hung them in my spare bathroom over the shower rod.
                               
Dried Savory, it can be chopped finer, if desired


Seeds....


¯`✻´¯)
...;¸.*✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ϡ₡ღ.¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ϡ₡ღ....
Thanks for visiting my blog.

7 comments:

  1. Thelma,
    oh how wonderful! You have salvory! I love it! Such a nice herb! It's great to have it in the garden - and later on - on the plate!
    Have a happy happy time and all my best from an Austrian gardener
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, nice to hear from someone in Austria. I am presently drying my parsley. I will blog it later. Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Thelma, it's wonderful to have you around. Happy to found an other garden friend!
    Just finished mowing!
    Sunny days for your parsley and you
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth, I plan to mow my grass one more time before winter sets in here. That will be in the next few days. It is a beautiful sunny Autumn Day here today. Lots of nice fall colors. I will post a blog on my Autumn Garden soon. Greetings from Canada

      Delete
  3. Dear Thelma, this is fantastic! I love savory and I also love sage. They are sort of comfort foods for me, if you will. I love how you put them into the bottles with the labels. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. They make great Christmas Gifts. I love sage also. Great for turkey stuffing. I am drying my parsley and sage also. So inexpensive and organic. Take care

      Delete
  4. So nice to have a visit from you on my blog! Thank you for taking a moment to leave a word. Your savory is wonderful. What a nice thing to carry forward from your mother! I love herb gardens best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love all your thoughts and comments.
Unfortunately, all my comments prior to February 2019, have been deleted by Google+ as Google + ceased to exist.